Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Day The War Came Home Reflection

   I would like to start this blog entry by giving a quick story. A Chemistry teacher at my High School here in Laconia attended Kent State University and graduated with his Masters in 1975. He was there during the shootings. I remember his story and how he remembers bullets going over his head. I sent him a message and he replied to me telling me that he will try to send me a document explaining his full story so I can share with all of you.

    My reaction to the video is very mixed. Because I can relate to someone who was already there I have a greater appreciation for it. I found the whole video very insightful and interesting.

   The part that struck me the most was how the guards moved and trapped themselves. It was called a "strategic mistake". Another powerful moment in the documentary was when they began to talk about "The Huddle". This was a where a group of groundsmen got into a circle and discussed the situation. Many feel like there is a conspiracy with this. People feel like the groundsman picked who they wanted singled out. In defense, a guardsman who was there claimed it to be false. He confirmed that they just were discussing how they got into this situation.

   The last thing I would like to talk about is the situation on Blanket Hill. The guards were returning to the ROTC building. People began to cheer thinking it was done. As the guards got to the crest of the hill, a guardsman was hit by concrete. Guys in the lead began to lower their weapon. The students then began to gesture back. The word "fire" was given. Some of the guardsman that talk about it now and say that they feel it was meant to be "hold fire". A guardsman shot within milliseconds, more followed. Many fired as warning shots. Hundreds fell on the ground. One man was remembered saying "Shoot me Mother******". This continued for some seconds.

   The most interesting information is that in 13 seconds, 67 bullets were fired. Many were injured but four were killed. We will never forget Jeffrey Miller, Sandra Lee Scheuer, Bill Scrhroeder and Allison Krause.

   I will let you know when I get the story from my former teacher.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment