Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Growing more knowledge


   I know this isn't exactly directly about a specific topic but I would like the chance to reflect upon yesterday's class discussion as a whole. The assignment was to find a primary source dating back to the Vietnam War.


    I thought it was very interesting listening to every one's sources. They ranged from personal interviews, to speeches, to newspaper articles from the time. It was awesome to hear what everyone learned from the article.


   An overwhelming amount of the class had interviews and articles of people and things that were unsure about the war. Many people really had no idea why or who they were even fighting. "They didn't really attack us or do anything to us." This was a very popular thought by many of those involved in the Vietnam War.


   I chose an article from the Wellsboro Gazette. It was dated November 16, 1967. In the article, I found it interesting that a senator to the state would send in his opinions and make certain columns about his views. At the time, he was giving his full pledged support behind the President to invade Vietnam. I feel like a lot of people really did not support the idea. In the columns, the Senator tried to give reasons why it would be best to support the war efforts. A lot of the reasons consisted of our soldier's current safety.


    As I thought about the Vietnam War yesterday I remembered Charles Stoots. "Chuck" was they  only grandfather I really had. Both of my grandfathers died when I was young. My grandma from Florida and Chuck met in 2000. Every year going to Florida I would see Chuck and we would always do things together. I always remember fishing, driving around with him in his nice cars, and of course even doing some work with him.


   On February 22, 2008 Chuck was honored by U.S. Congresswoman Ginny Brown-Waite and the State of Florida. Chuck was an active member of the United States Army from 1955 through 1980, with the Bronze Star Medal, Good Conduct Medal & Clasp Silver 1 Loop, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal & Bronze Star Attachment and Republic of Vietnam Campaign Ribbon w/Device.


   I remember this past April going down and him showing me his medals and talking about them. He was so proud and honored. I was very proud of him as well. I remember I had an early flight so I stayed up all night. I did not say bye to Chuck when I left because it was so early. About a month later, on May 29, Chuck had passed away to random sickness. I will never forget Chuck. I love and miss him dearly. He is a war hero for me and the first Veteran I think of.

No comments:

Post a Comment